Skip to content

Get your Free Quote Today!

Record Keeping Requirements in Indiana

Employers may be required under both federal and state law to retain certain types of records relating to their current and former employees. View the Recordkeeping Requirements by Federal Law for detailed information about the federal requirements.

Indiana requires employers to maintain the following types of records:


  • The following information must be retained for each employee:
    • Name;
    • Address;
    • Occupation;
    • Daily/weekly hours worked; and
    • Wages paid each pay period.

Safety and Health/Workers' Compensation

Record Keeping Requirements in Indiana
Click to enlarge.
  • Employers must keep a record of all disablements caused by occupational disease, fatal or otherwise, received by employees in the course of their employment.
    • A written report must be made to the insurance carrier within 7 days of a disablement that causes the employee's death or absence from work for more than 1 day.
  • Employers must report to IOSHA/OSHA anytime an employee is hospitalized within 24 hours. This does not include employees taken in for testing or observation only. Employers must also now report any amputation or loss of an eye within 24 hours. View the reporting rules infographic here.
  • Employers are also required to maintain accurate records of employee exposures to potentially toxic material or harmful physical agents.

Child Labor

  • Job permits for workers under age 18 must be retained for the duration of employment.


  • An employer must keep records of the ages of its employees.

Employee Access to Records

  • Employees may access records pertaining to hazardous substance exposures.

Please Note: The state laws summaries featured on this site are for general informational purposes only. In addition to state law, certain municipalities may enact legislation that imposes different requirements. State and local laws change frequently and, as such, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information featured in the State Laws section. For more detailed information regarding state or local laws, please contact your state labor department or the appropriate local government agency.